Sunday, March 11, 2012

Unforgivable

"And you hide my favorite shirt too!"
"I did not! I gave back that ugly thing weeks ago!"
"Forget it, It's not worth staying here any longer looking for it."
Andy threw his hands and gathered up the last of his things. He'd been stomping around the apartment for the last few hours collecting his belongings, and taking turns starting fights with me.
He paused in the doorway, his box tucked under one arm. "Why did it have to be my best friend? You knew it's the one thing that I just couldn't forgive... "
"Andrew I---"
"You know what, never mind. I don't want to know." Without another word he walked out of my life.

Eighteen months later.

"Ryan and I dated for a few weeks, but it never really went anywhere. I dated one other guy, but nothing ever seemed right. I couldn't get over you." I smiled at Andy over my coffee cup.
"And now? Are you over me now?" He smiled teasingly.
I set my coffee cup down. "Honestly?"
He set down his as well. "Of course."
"No. Not completely. I never will be, but after you left, and after I left Ryan, I moved on. I had to in order to survive."
"I see---"
"But. There will always be a part of me that loves you. Always." I leaned over, and kissed him on the forehead. I jumped off the counter, padding over the carpet in my bare feet.
"You're never going to give me that shirt back are you?"
I looked down at the oversize aging t-shirt, smoothing the fabric over my otherwise naked waist.
"Why would I do that?" I grinned, and ran back towards the bedroom.
"Now that---" He said as he jumped off the counter. "--- is unforgivable."

No comments:

Post a Comment